Friday, July 9, 2010

Why are you backing away from me like that?

I have a personal quote that has never been said out loud.

"I don't think you understand the importance of Bach."

I am thinking that since today is Saturday and I am lying in bed wondering whether I should write, read, watch Buffy or meditate, Bach is a wonderful place to begin. The art of classical music (that is real classical music) has been lost in our generation of pop music and rap crap. I even have storm music, from Vivaldi himself. Winter I in case anyone was wondering.

Those artists who can incorporate real classical music into their songs are my heroes. I think it is a rare talent (been thinking a lot about rare talents lately). For example right now I am listening to Joanna Newsom's first album. With a unique voice and a harp or harpsichord music can reach a whole new level.

I find music to be an important part of writing. If I am listening to the right music words seem to flow easier and quicker. With my new EPIC novel the one difficulty I am finding is I cannot find a style of music that would suite it. No soundtracks or classical pieces have inspired me the way some have for other writing pieces. This is making it hard for me to begin. Even though I have attempted a prologue and first chapter there seems to be a kind of heart missing. It is almost as though I am not loving it as much as I normally would and I am only guessing, but I think this absence comes from the lack of the right kind of music.

I am only assuming it would be classical. I think I shall try Chopin.

No comments:

Post a Comment